Sunday, September 21, 2008

A brief experience with Twitter

One of the reasons I'm taking the e-marketing class is because I've been feeling a little out of touch with all the new social media that's now available. While class has provided a lot of interesting ideas and resources, I've also been doing some of my own "research" on the side. Today I checked out twitter, a relatively new addition to the social media space. From the twitter (see I learned how to link!) home page I watched their brief tutorial explaining how the site works. Essentially, the premise seems to be an offshoot of Facebook's component that allows you to tell your friends what you're doing. Twitter is based on the proposition that you can learn more about your friends by knowing what they're doing at all times. Of course this is all dependent on you being vigilant enough to post your activities. I'm not sure I buy the argument that you'll become closer to your friends by being on Twitter, in fact I think that by using Twitter, you might even become more removed from them as you'll feel a false sense of familiarity with them and realize later that you haven't actually spoken to them in weeks! Also, I don't really think that people do enough interesting stuff in a day to warrant an entire webiste dedicated to tracking these activities. Twittering (is that what it's called?) is definitely not on my list of things to do.

No comments: